18 June 2008

George Washington is Dead, Deal with it...

No offense to the memory of a great Mason but follow me here as in reference to my prior post.  I am from back East.  I was born in Boston and raised in New Jersey.  Washington's retreat from New York was 5 miles from my house.  Every other town is Washington this or Washington that.  Great man and leader who deserves such honors.  I have many books on the man and love the history of that time in our country.

I did not join Freemasonry because of George Washington.  I did not join Freemasonry because of some long dead actor, politician or preacher.  Frankly I was reading about Scottish history,  my own familiar lines within the Fraternity (Grandfather, Great-Grandfather, Uncle) and my friend was a member of Wasatch Lodge No. 1 in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Another friend I had spent many times with asking many questions of was also a Mason at that time in Acacia Lodge No. 17 also of Salt Lake City, Utah.  I joined because of what I had learned from what I had read and had asked and because of my friends. That's it.  Now Brother George and the like are part of us all Masonically speaking, but when an 18 year old lad asks me about Freemasonry and I tell him "George Washington was a Mason".  There is a disconnect for the uninitiated.  "You know the dude on the dollar".  Afterwards it makes more sense to him, before not much.  This quote is from my Oration this past February 2008 at Grand Lodge.  I think it makes the point.

Yesterday is today and history is NOW.
 
If you look around this room you will see new and seasoned members.  Between us all, are not gaps of time but an indisolvable chain of Friendship and Brotherly Love.  A link if you will to the Past brought to the present to the NOW.  Knowledge, stories, experience, hopes, fears and dreams.   Both young and old “we” have been and are NOW part of a many centuries old Fraternity.  “We” are the caretakers and protectors of the household of the faithful.  And while “we” cannot claim credit for Freemasonry’s Glorious Past “We” everyone one of us here in this room today are responsible for what Freemasonry will be in the Future.  This Fraternity, it’s culture is unmatched by any other endeavor in today’s society.  “We” as “Freemasons” need to embrace the ever-changing opportunities given to us.  “We” need to evolve without disregarding our history and traditions so that “we” can insure that our Fraternity will return to the forefront of our modern society.

That's all...

JL

2 comments:

Greg Stewart said...

Its like living on the ghost of the past. The memory of Brother George is a great one to have, but then its just that, a memory. But then the flip side is that had the young person had learned more, he would have known about the great deeds Washington accomplished and been able to see the connection between great feats, valor, and duty, and Freemasonry.

Patrick OMMP said...

I chose George Washington #285 in NYC because of the name as a newcomer, but stayed because of the quality of men I have come to call my brothers - near and far. Thanks for the post!
Patrick Swift
Author: One Mountain, Many Paths